The Dove was the first British aircraft to be produced after WW2, as a light transport aircraft and a replacement for the pre-war D.H. Rapide biplane. It was use by airlines on shorter routes such as those to the Scilly Isles and the Scottish islands, and on feeder routes to the main airports. Many were also used as company transports, while others were also used by the Services for communications work – the RAF called it the Devon and the Navy named theirs the Sea Devon. The total number of Doves built was 544.‘FU was built as a Dove 4, later being modified to Dove 6 specification with more powerful engines. It spent the whole of its flying career from 1948 to 1972 based at Stansted Airport, and was used by the Civil Aviation Flying Unit for checking airport navigational aids and radio communications, and also for aircrew training. During its long career it flew a total of 10,597 hours. It was donated to the Imperial War Museum and was moved to Duxford in 1973. In February 1984 it was transferred to the DAS.